In a world that’s increasingly recognizing the importance of diversity and inclusion, the remarkable journey of Sarah Hassaine serves as an inspiring tale of advocacy and empowerment. As the Head of Inclusion and Diversity at ResMed, a digital health med-tech company, Sarah’s remarkable career is a testament to her unwavering commitment to creating a more inclusive and equitable society. With a background in international relations, extensive global travel, and a diverse range of work experiences, Sarah’s journey has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Key Takeaway 1: A Journey of Global Engagement
- Sarah’s path to becoming a champion of inclusion and diversity has been marked by a series of experiences that reflect her commitment to making the world a better place. With a degree in international relations, she embarked on a journey that took her across the globe. From working in refugee camps volunteering as a teacher and translator in health clinics, to diplomacy, to government consulting, to nonprofit organizations focused on democracy development, and in the tech industry, she has witnessed firsthand the power of inclusivity. Her diverse experiences and travels underscore the opportunities to elevate voices and ensure that everyone’s basic needs are seen and being met.
Key Takeaway 2: The Unplanned Beginning
- Ten years ago, Sarah found herself unexpectedly transitioning into the realm of inclusion and diversity. While working on a project, her team encountered significant challenges in attracting and retaining women. Women were not seeing themselves represented or fitting in that workplace, prompting Sarah’s curiosity and interest in helping businesses address this issue. Her journey led her to ponder essential questions: How do we effectively advertise to women? How do we retain them once they join our team? How can we adjust our messaging to ensure inclusivity? From there, she moved into her first official role in D&I and expanded the scope beyond women, to all communities and the greater business strategy of inclusion enterprise wide.
Key Takeaway 3: The Power of Intentionality
- Sarah emphasizes that building diversity and fostering an inclusive culture, in any field, requires intentionality. It’s not merely a numbers game; it’s about fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging, which starts with feeling included. She loves the strategic aspect of ensuring that all individuals, regardless of their abilities, neurodiversity, gender, sexual identity, faith and background, are welcomed with open arms. Her work at ResMed is a testament to the importance of implementing strategies, programs, and policies that genuinely raise awareness and evolve the culture, rather than just paying lip service to the idea.
Key Takeaway 4: Embracing Self-worth
- Like many individuals striving to make a difference, Sarah has faced moments of self-doubt. Her journey has been one of personal growth, and looking back, she wishes she could have reassured her younger self, telling her, “You’re enough. You can do this.” This reflects an important lesson that everyone has the potential to create a positive impact in the world and to work past the voices of doubt that creep up.
Key Takeaway 5: Stripping Away Assumptions and Biases
- Sarah’s vision for a better world is rooted in her desire to eliminate biases and assumptions. People often operate with preconceived notions, which can hinder genuine understanding and connection. Sarah’s wish is simple but profound: remove these assumptions and biases. To truly see each other as fellow humans, she advocates for us to exercise kind curiosity. By taking the time to get to know one another, we can bridge the gaps that exist between us.
Sarah’s work at ResMed extends beyond the corporate realm. She holds a unique position where she can elevate voices and advocate for marginalized communities. Her commitment to change and her desire to raise awareness are evident in her involvement with refugee communities, orphans, inter-cultural organization, women in stem,n and economic inclusion and parity in the San Diego community. She sits on three non-profit boards and volunteers extensively with different organizations.
In the spirit of Sarah’s unwavering advocacy, it is a reminder that we all carry the responsibility to do our part in building a more inclusive and diverse world. Whether through small acts of kindness or more significant actions, each of us can contribute to positive change. By sharing information and offering opportunities for others to get involved, we enable a ripple effect of awareness and action.
In conclusion, Sarah Hassaine’s remarkable journey and her ongoing dedication to inclusion and diversity are a testament to the power of one individual’s commitment to positive change. Her work at ResMed is not only a symbol of the company’s commitment to diversity but also a blueprint for other organizations looking to make a difference in the world. Sarah’s legacy serves as a reminder that we all have the potential to be advocates for inclusion and diversity and that our actions, no matter how small, can create a more equitable and inclusive world.